Our Acrobatics, Musical Theatre, Street Dance & Contemporary classes are grouped by age:
- Teenies = 3 – 5yrs
- Tots = 5 – 6yrs
- Juvenile = 7 – 9yrs
- Junior = 10 – 12yrs
- Inters = 13 – 15yrs
- Seniors = 16yrs+
Ballet, Tap and Modern classes are grouped by ISTD Grade. Grades are a measure of ability; students move up from one grade to another by taking the appropriate dance examination or at the dance teacher’s discretion if the student chooses not to take part in dance examinations.
New students who have not danced before will be guided towards an appropriate grade class with respect to their age.
(*Please note – age suggestions below are only rough guidelines)
- Primary (5 – 7yrs)
- Grade 1 (7 – 9yrs)
- Grade 2 (7 – 10yrs)
- Grade 3 (8- 11yrs)
- Grade 4 (11yrs+)
- Grade 5 (12yrs+)
- Grade 6 (14yrs+)
- Intermediate (15yrs+)
- Advanced 1 (16yrs+)
- Advanced 2 (18yrs+)
- Diploma in Dance Education (Level 4 NVQ – required Intermediate)
With respect to the structure of the syllabus we follow, and in accordance with safe dance practice, we do not permit students to move up grades until they are ready and we expect all our students to respect the decision of their dance teachers.
At JLDance we operate a termly payment system that matches the Derbyshire school term times (usually ~5-7 weeks at a time).
Dance fees are invoiced by email prior to the start of each term and must be paid in full within ten days of the start of the term.
- 30 minute Teenies class – £3.25
- 45 minute normal class – £4.25
- 60 minute acro classes –
- 60 minute competition / show class –
- 75 minute competition / show class –
Each student pays £15.00 annual enrolment once per year.
- Bank transfer
- Direct debit
We cannot accept:
- Debit / credit card
Spotted the class for you? Or just need to ask a question? Contact us here!
Remember; new and existing students may have a free trial of each/any genre they are trying for the first time. At JL Dance we pride ourselves on keeping a friendly and professional relationship with our neighbouring dance schools; if you are considering joining classes at JL Dance from another dance school, it is important that you make your current school and our studio manager aware of this. Thank you – firstname.lastname@example.org
Term Dates: (Updated 11th May 2018)
- 18/19 Term 1: 4th September 2018 to 28th October 2018 (8 weeks – usual timetable)
- ISTD Examinations
- 18/19 Term 2: 5th November 2018 to 15th December 2018 (6 weeks – Show Timetable)
- Choreographing begins for 2019 Annual Showcase.
- 18/19 Term 3: 7th January 2019 to 16th February 2019 (6 weeks – usual timetable)
- Show rehearsal classes every Friday evening.
- Competition rehearsals for Leicestershire Dance Festival Thursday evenings from Thurs 31st Jan to Thurs 11th Apr.
- 18/19 Term 4: 25th February 2019 to 13th April 2019 (7 weeks – usual timetable)
- Show Dates 2019:
- Sunday 3rd March – Dress Rehearsal at Belper Theatre
- Friday 15th March – Evening Rehearsal at Belper Theatre
- Saturday 16th March – Morning Rehearsal, Matinee and Evening Shows at Belper Theatre
- Sunday 17th March – Matinee Show at Belper Theatre
- Saturday 23rd March – Matinee and Evening Shows at Belper Theatre
- Show Dates 2019:
- 18/19 Term 5: 29th April 2019 to 25th May 2019 (4 weeks – usual timetable)
- ISTD Examinations
- JL Goes to Disney! 30th May – 1st June
- 18/19 Term 6: 3rd June 2019 to 20th July 2019 (7 weeks – usual timetable)
- Kings Summer Festival of Dance 2019.
- Competition rehearsal classes every Friday evening
The ‘Usual Timetable’ almost never changes, only Friday nights are affected as Fridays are used for Show Rehearsal Classes at Showtime, and Competition Classes at Competition Time.
Show Timetable is in place for only one term, the term before the Christmas break, and during this timetable certain classes become ‘Show Classes’ what this means is that we will use those lessons to choreograph for our annual show which will follow in March. (E.g. the time slot for ‘Tap Grade’ will become ‘Tap Showclass’ for the most appropriate age that would be in that grade class.)
Every effort has been made to ensure that this timetable flows as smoothly as possible for as many as possible, some students may find there class times change during this one term.
We have a fantastically talented team of highly qualified Dance Teachers here at JL Dance, to an extent our timetable is dictated by the teacher’s weekly availability. In general timetable changes are never made lightly, JL Dance will only make changes to the timetable when absolutely necessary, and we will always consider the long term interests of the majority before doing so. Any and all changes planned will be communicated to all members as early as possible and we will always take the best precautions to ensure classes on our timetable flow without causing clashes, with this in mind, please remember that every individual’s external commitments cannot be taken into account when scheduling classes.